Caltrans Bay Area (District 4) manages nearly 1,400 miles of State Highway corridors throughout the Bay Area. The goal of this Study is to understand where Bike Highways may be installed alongside State Highway corridors.
What is a Bike Highway?
A bike highway is a high-quality, uninterrupted, long-distance bikeway that reduces barriers to destinations that people want to travel to and from, especially places which may normally be difficult to bike to. Bike highways may consist of a mix of on-street facilities and fully-separated trails and should be designed so as to accommodate people of all ages and abilities riding bikes, as well as people walking and rolling where appropriate and feasible. For this Study, Caltrans is evaluating bike highways parallel to State highway corridors.
Click to zoom
Tell Us What You Think
Your comments and feedback are key to this project’s success. There are multiple ways to get involved:
Take the Online Survey
What are YOUR priorities for a Caltrans Bay Area Bike Highway? The survey will be open through February 28.
Attend an Event
We’ll be hosting virtual events for the time being, and would love to see you at an upcoming community event!
Photo: Sergio Ruiz
Working Group Meetings
Fall 2020, Winter 2020-2021, Spring 2021, Summer 2021
Winter 2020 – 2021
Community feedback on priority corridors
Outreach to communities living near proposed corridors
Public Draft Study
Winter 2021 – 2022
Join us at the following events to share your thoughts on Bay Area Bike Highways. We’ll be hosting virtual events for the foreseeable future due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Events coming soon!
No events here yet!
Working Group Organizations
This is a collaborative process! The following organizations are supporting the Study as members of a Working Group providing feedback throughout the duration of the project:
- Alameda County Transportation Commission
- Bay Trail Project
- Bike East Bay
- City/County Association of Governments of San Mateo County
- Contra Costa Transportation Authority
- Marin County Bicycle Coalition
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission/Association of Bay Area Governments
- Napa County Bicycle Coalition
- Napa Valley Transportation Authority
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy
- San Francisco Bicycle Coalition
- San Francisco County Transportation Authority
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority
- Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
- Solano Transportation Authority
- Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition
- Sonoma County Transportation Authority
- Transportation Authority of Marin
Join the Mailing List
Thank you for visiting the Caltrans Bay Area Bike Highway Study website. If you would like to ask a question, provide comments, or join our mailing list for upcoming events, please fill out the form below or call 510-221-0260 for more information.
Photo: Sergio Ruiz